Re: Microsoft to ship all OS bits with every version of Vista

__/ [B Gruff] on Sunday 08 January 2006 18:04 \__

>  http://www.wininsider.com/news/?8851
>
> "Microsoft plans to market several versions of Vista but will distribute
> all of the OS bits with every product shipped so users can easily unlock
> and step up to more full-featured versions using electronic keys, sources
> said."
>
> "No matter which edition you buy you get all the bits and a key to unlock
> it. Everyone will have all the bits," said one source familiar with
> Microsoft's plans. "Right now we maintain master images for each version of
> Windows XP and it's a lot of work. Now there's just one master image."
>
> "Having a master Windows Vista operating system means customers that buy
> PCs preloaded with one Vista SKU, Home Basic, for example, will be able to
> punch their credit card into a Microsoft Web site to unlock Vista Home
> Premium and more speedily deploy media center features without an on-site
> visit or requiring a wipe and reload of the system."
> ---------------------------------------
> Interesting.
> So I wonder if this means that all versions of Vista will ship as the
> cheapest, with therefore a minimal cut for the vendor, and all "upgrade"
> money going straight to Microsoft by paying by cc over the internet for an
> activation key?

Yet again, the bill is wrongly perceived when the operating system is
initially installed. Shortly thereafter you need an anti-virus, a
spellchecker (Microsoft Office) and a variety of bloatware applications to
replace basics such as paint.exe and Solitaire. I hope that the prospective
cutomer understand what s/he is getting into by purchaing a PC with Windows
Vista pre-installed.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    WARNING: /dev/null running out of space
  6:05pm  up 29 days  1:16,  14 users,  load average: 0.57, 0.71, 0.65