Re: Google archiving x-no-archive posts?

  • Subject: Re: Google archiving x-no-archive posts?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 07:45:38 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
__/ [John Bokma] on Wednesday 11 January 2006 04:58 \__

> geob@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>> I looked at Google the other day and found almost all I had posted in
>> the past 30 days and more. Since when are they archiving posts
>> containing the x-no-archive bit??
>
> No Idea. I know that you are going to piss people of if you do it just
> because (i.e. without any sane reason), and some will just quote your
> entire message.

...Or even misquote it by putting in some nasty self-inflicted insults. In a
different newsgroup, this has been happening every hour recently. I am still
among the luckier participants not to have been targetted. John once said
that the best solution is never to disclose your identity in any way. Mind
the message headers too.

> Also, X-No-Archive is nothing more and nothing less then a kind request.
> It's not going to stop archiving of your messages everywhere.
>
> In short, in too many cases it's pointless. If you do it to hide your
> identity, you already raised some questions.

Some do it for spite. If someone posts an insult, I don't think archiving is
a concern. In fact, it is often encouraged.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
  7:40am  up 31 days 14:51,  14 users,  load average: 0.79, 0.73, 0.66