Re: Question about Linux based PDA phones.

__/ [MarkH] on Friday 13 January 2006 00:25 \__

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>
>> __/ [MarkH] on Thursday 12 January 2006 06:11 \__
>>
>>> Does anyone have any experience with the Motorolla E680i Cellphone?
>>>
>>> Has anyone used one for syncing contacts and appointments with a
>>> Linux PC?
>>>
>>> Alternatively does anyone have any recommendations for other Linux
>>> based PDA phones?
>>
>> Have you looked at the Nokia 770 Internet tablet yet? It's a big
>> seller as recently reported[1] and a market newcomer too. It is based
>> on Debian and is growing rapidly in terms of development that revolves
>> around it. I am not sure it synchronises with one's desktop directly
>> (over Wi-Fi probably) and there is no personal information manager
>> either, yet.
>>
>> Keep an eye on it nonetheless. By the way, I should mention that it is
>> not a phone, but might be extended to have that functionality. Palm
>> introduced the Treo not so long ago (3/4 years?).
>>
>> [1]
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/05/electric_nokia770/index%2Ehtml
>>
>> Hope it helps,
>
> It really doesn't help me at all.
>
> The problem is that I work with a Pocket PC in one pocket and a cellphone
> in another pocket.  It has occurred to me that a PDA phone could reduce the
> amount I need to carry.  It has also occurred to me that it is difficult to
> sync my Pocket PC to my Linux systems and that will slow down my clever
> idea of using my WinXP system for games only.  Therefore a Linux based PDA
> phone could be the perfect solution to my current and future requirements.
>
> The Nokia 770 seems like a cool toy, but without a phone I think I would
> rather buy a laptop and install Linux on it.

How about a Treo? It will synchronise with your Linux partition using gpilot,
kpilot and the like. I personally prefer KPilot which provides a nice
graphical front-end. Palm are headed towards the Linux kernel (they made the
commitment under a year ago), so it might be the direction to take.

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/treo650/

Hope it helps this time around,

Roy S. Schestowitz
 11:25am  up 33 days 18:36,  15 users,  load average: 1.12, 1.13, 1.07