Re: Error 403 from Google

__/ [Big Bill] on Friday 13 January 2006 13:26 \__

> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:55:16 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>__/ [Roy Schestowitz] on Friday 13 January 2006 11:47 \__
>>
>>> I find this rather amusing actually. I have been getting 403 errors
>>> (denial of access) from Google for the past few minutes, claiming that "A
>>> computer virus or spyware application is sending us automated requests".
>>> I have Netcraft and the A9 toolbars installed. They tend to echo my
>>> requests, i.e. visit all pages in my 'history', so I suspect they are the
>>> culprits. GoogleBar and SearchStatus request PageRank values on
>>> occasions, but I have not run any tools that leads to heavy query load
>>> (not for months anyway...).
>>>
>>> I have tested access to Google from a remote computer to confirm that it
>>> is only my IP address (which means that I can still get around this by
>>> SSH'ing), but nonetheless it's an interesting observation, I think. Have
>>> they become paranoid or vain perhaps? Maybe they dislike multiple
>>> requests from various locations, but if that's the case, they are
>>> stepping on their rivals' toes.
>>>
>>> Roy
>>
>>Update: it appears as if Google intercept only requests which come from
>>GoogleBar, the Open Source toolbar that predates the official Google
>>Toolbar.
>>
>>GoogleBar enables its user to fetch 50 results for each results page. I
>>toyed with the URL's and settings to discover that Google deny the fetching
>>of >10 results for particular terms, but not for others. Nonetheless, they
>>begin to limit the load they are willing to tolerate and information that
>>they deliver as a *Web page* (a SERP). It's just an intersting observation
>>because this has worked flawlessly for a long, long time.
>>
>>Roy
>
> Sounds like they're suffering from load problems all round then.

I hope that they replace the contents of that 403 page. It's very deceiving.
If I were a Windows user, I would have spent time in vain.

Here is the full content of the page:

Error

    We're sorry...

    ... but we can't process your request right now. A computer virus or
spyware application is sending us automated requests, and it appears that
your computer or network has been infected.

    We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In
the meantime, you might want to run a virus checker (LINK) or spyware
remover (LINK) to make sure that your computer is free of viruses and other
spurious software.

    We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on
Google.