Re: If I can't succeed at Linux, then looking out the windows makes me a looser?

  • Subject: Re: If I can't succeed at Linux, then looking out the windows makes me a looser?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 18:55:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [Roy L. Fuchs] on Sunday 15 January 2006 17:59 \__

> On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 17:31:48 +0000, loki
> <loki.21osfb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Gave us:
>
>>yes i agree with you
>
>   Learn some grammar, child. Lacking THAT makes you a loser.
> It also makes it obvious that you really aren't yet old enough to get
> off the parents PC and configure one of your own.

Was this *truly* necessary?

__/ [loki] on Sunday 15 January 2006 16:20 \__

> I need some serious help here or I am going to end up buying another
> laptop, as I will teach this one how to fly.  I am using an IBM T43,
> 1GB RAM...anyway I have changed from Windows to Linux about a year ago.

That has rarely been a failed move. Going back is much more of an issue if
you are ever forced to: http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/html/47/5937%2Ehtml

> I went full board forget the dual boot bs.

Dual-boot often provides a nice temporary cushion while you adapt. For each
his own, but decisions based on zeal are not pragmatic. It was only several
months ago that I become 100% Windows free. At home, at the University, and
at work. The transition was patchy due to old hardware that has finally aged
enough to say farewell.

> Now I can not tell you how
> many times I have F****D Up my install and had to start from scratch, I
> think one time is was 3 in a week.

This must be an exception and you must be doing something wrong. I have not
re-installed SuSE on this current machine for about 2.5 years.

> Anyway, I have now not had to
> reinstall for about a month.  I have finally gotten most of my drivers
> installed, less the finger print reader, hell I even configured my poxy
> server...(sounds a lot kewler then it really was).  Well I was using the
> slide show for my desktop background without anyproblems for weeks now,
> and all of a sudden its gone, you can see a flash of the selected pic
> when I change from one desktop to the other, but once it refreshes I am
> left with a blank gray screen.  When I attempt to (rt click) and config
> desktop the menu is no longer the same either.  It is like I have gone
> from one desktop, KDE to another GNOME.  I am guessing that is what
> happened, and I have no idea how I did it, or how to get it back.  If I
> can not solve this in the next 24 hours, I am going to reinstall....that
> is starting to drive me crazy.

Consider a different distribution as Houghi said. When a cake is bland, you
learn from experience, revise the recipe and have another go. As I said,
there must be something awkward which causes this.

> Hell I just invested in Suse 10, and it
> has not even been delivered yet, as well as VMWare workstation
> 5.5....which has not yet arrived....please help me out here.....going
> crazy wanting to succeed with Linux.  Windows really sucks ass and I
> really don't want to suck ass with it....thanks for you help.
>
> loki

As suggested, do some reading or use experience as a teacher. No transition
is easy, but all transitions are exciting. I can assure you that SuSE gives
me far more than Windows could ever offer. Not because I dislike Windows,
but because Windows is the darnest platform for development, extensibility,
autonomous operations, etc. When compared with SuSE, it is also plagued with
distractions and its maintenance tasks make it labour-intensive. Rebooting,
scanning, and re-arranging of the filesystem should consume no more than 0
seconds of the user's time.

__/ [loki] on Sunday 15 January 2006 17:31 \__

> houghi rights: First, reinstalling under Linux does not solve anything.
> It will make
> you learn nothing and has no purpose, especially when done as often as
> you do.

*Exactly*.

> Buy a book and start reading. Running Linux is good. There are also
> books specially for SUSE.
>
> ok...where to start..yes i agree with you, and that is why i am so
> frustrated...
> here is a list of books i have and access all the time, yet can not
> solve this problem...this is not the first time i have experienced
> this.

You are clearly new to Linux. I advice Linux newbies to try Ubuntu. SuSE is
excellent if you want access to a wide variety of tools without having to
re-install them atop the narrower base. Once you get to grips with
(K)Ubuntu, SuSE will come naturally too. Ubuntu will also have less clutter
and cruft, which might confuse you or intimidate you rather than provide a
strong base.

> although in the past i usually do this stuff on a desktop other
> then 1, at that point i removed that desktop, then added it back and
> all was good.  what i am talking about only affects desktop 1.
> Linux device drivers / oreilley, suse linux admin and users guides,
> nessus network auditing, suse linux 9 bible, bash shell, vi editor,
> essential sys admin, linux pocket guid, network security hacks, knoppix
> hacks, and linux server security.
> Yes I have read and do read....
> I am logging in with kde, this problem only affects desktop 1..
> yes i am new to linux, and  do not want to go back to windows...i like
> linux just dont like feeling stupid and frustrated.
>
> loki

Hope this helps and good luck,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  6:50pm  up 36 days  2:01,  13 users,  load average: 0.12, 0.49, 0.63