Re: Taiwan Says Farewell to Microsoft Software

__/ [Linønut] on Tuesday 17 January 2006 12:24 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Tim Smith belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> The part you ...'ed out is rather significanct:
>>
>>    "Taiwan's parliament has voted to end its dependence on Microsoft
>>    software, demanding that the government reduce purchases from the
>>    software giant by 25 percent this year."
>>
>> That's pretty far from saying farewell.
>
> Yeah, Taiwan is still on the door step, waving goodbye, not quite ready
> to step down (oh so agonizingly slowly) down the porch steps.

It  is a staged migration, but I agree that I excluded that fragment for a
reason.  Look at Paris and Munich, for example. Their migrations are  pro-
gressive  too. You cannot discard people's MS-dependent skills  overnight,
or  over a year. Licence purchases and people's jobs cannot handle it  ei-
ther. An O/S and accompanying software is not a pair of socks. A strategic
choice  is what counts nonetheless. Also note the phrasing: "Taiwan's par-
liament  has voted to end its dependence on Microsoft". What follows is  a
practical  first step towards the final goal. Every journey begins with  a
single footstep.