Re: More on Google Duplication and Old Results

__/ [ Logician ] on Saturday 01 July 2006 05:52 \__

> Anyone who has used google.co.uk is aware is massive egregious
> duplication and poor results, especially by large corporate websites
> supported by companies like Google.

I am able to make the observation that:

* Google traffic is gradually restored to genuine sites

* Google crawling rose dramatically for no apparent reason

* Pages are readded to cache

* Page titles and content is stored in a corrupted way, which raises the
possibility that it is recovered from backup

> Today, I was searching for information about Phil Green the billionaire
> who has turned around BHS in just two years, so I entered phil green
> bhs into google.co.uk and got back my page of results. The first three
> results had a BBC article 4 years old, and two links to exactly the
> same articles (one for answers.com and one for en.wikipedia.org). Tthe
> fourth has a small article of just a few lines from the Scotsman which
> was 2 years old.

A similar example was brought forward a few days ago (in AISE). Some Web
sites have a lot of merely identical content dominate some SERP's. It's a
bug.

> Google has always said content matters, but the reality is that it just
> points to large websites on the assumption that the articles there are
> the best. The fact is of course is that they are not the best.

People love to point at the BBC. This infatuation has earned it such high
status (PageRank and crawling frequency). The only solution is to change the
perception of people, or at least the algorithm. When searching for common
news, I typically find the same Web sites at the top (CNN, News.com, BBC).