Re: The Charter

  • Subject: Re: The Charter
  • From: High Plains Thumper <hpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 23:03:05 +0000 (UTC)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
"tab" <trentallenblack@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:1151604002.009545.292110@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> Here is a quote from your charter:
>
> 1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy
>
>   The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:
>
>     For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to
>     other operating systems.
>
>   That single sentence is the one and only charter of the
>   newsgroup comp.os.linux.advocacy. The newsgroup's charter
>   is for the newsgroup as a place for supporters of Linux
>   to gather to discuss Linux, for the betterment of the
>   Linux community and the promotion and development of
>   Linux. It supports this as a place for those who would
>   like to learn more about Linux to come to learn from
>   those who know Linux. It does not call for it to be a
>   place where the anti-Linux propagandists to gather in
>   order to discredit Linux.
>
> tab says:
>
> Did you notice the part about the BETTERMENT OF LINUX.
> My story, is well known now, thanks to COLA.  It is a story
> of people advocating linux, at any cost to any body.  In my
> story, linux almost GOT ME FIRED FOR BEING BUGGY.

Following merchantability fitness clause is used as an
example obtained from:

http://www.novell.com/licensing/eula/suse_pro_93.pdf

/quote/
EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE RESTRICTED BY LAW, NOVELL DISCLAIMS AND
EXCLUDES ANY AND ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES INCLUDING ANY
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, OR
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. NOVELL MAKES NO WARRANTY,
REPRESENTATION OR PROMISE NOT EXPRESSLY SET FORTH IN THIS
LIMITED WARRANTY. NOVELL DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SOFTWARE
WILL SATISFY YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR THAT THE OPERATION OF THE
SOFTWARE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED. /-quote/

You as a user have a responsibility to determine the
suitability of the software in your particular situation.
That includes selection of a distro version, which has known
stability and compatibility with the hardware.

Either you did something to convince your managment to fire
you, or you have incredibly unreasonable management.
Normally, IMHO, management would not fire someone unless they
did something very illegal or have a work history worthy of a
firing.

> If your charter includes screwing people over by lying at
> all costs. You almost succeeded.  I am not sure how this is
> BETTER. Can someone explain that to me?

Charter states nothing of the sort.

Why are you blaming the posting community at C.O.L.A. over
something you did?  I do not appreciate your sweeping
generality, "screwing people over by lying at all costs".
The posting community did not screw you.  You screwed you.

> All I ask is that you TELL THE TRUTH.  Seems, that can't be
> done.

Perhaps you should look inwardly, instead of generalising and
bashing the posting community.

> Further, COLA is IMMORAL.  I have one of your leaders,
> stealing art pictures, and posting on his own web site,
> without permission.

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.  You take a
single example of a personal blog with one image.  Then you
associate that one instance with the C.O.L.A. posting
community, as though that one individual represents C.O.L.A.

Rather than approach that one individual personally and
express your concerns, you feel that C.O.L.A. is the place to
publicly bash a personal blog.  Then you make a sweeping
generality about the entire posting community being immoral
over personal disagreements on one art image on a personal
blog.

> That, and that ALONE, should get A PERMENANT BAN!  It is
> stealing.  No less.  PERIOD.   Show me 10 posts, that are
> just about scolding ROY?  I don't see it.
>
> And, here is proof, that what I say, is correct.  I just
> don't want this group, causing others to get fired from
> work, without the WHOLE STORY. Maybe a little less lying?
> Try something, before you say it works. Try it in the
> Distro that someone else is using.  Now, that would be
> polite.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse
> _thread/thread/d579e67cd18fd730/67fed34d84546996?q=tab+is+co
> rrect&rnum=1#67fed34d84546996

See?  A C.O.L.A. poster gave you a compliment when you posted
something of benefit to the posting community.  Problem is
that many of your posts do not promote Linux, discuss
benefits of Linux compared with other operating systems, nor
speak in a manner that benefits the Linux community.

--
HPT