Re: [OT] Get the factoids Letter

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Get the factoids Letter
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 03:23:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ [H]omer ] on Monday 03 July 2006 02:08 \__

> 7 wrote:
>
>> they didn't give us permission to print GPL'd code which we stole
>> and its documentation we use to train our engineers as part of the
>> release because we are afraid Richard Stallman and open source
>> community will eat us for breakfast.
>
> LOL! I hadn't even *thought* of *that* one.
>
> I just assumed they were dragging their heels because they
> fundamentally hate interoperability, because it damages their
> monopoly; I hadn't even considered that they may be opening a can of
> worms.
>
> Ooooh, exciting.
>
> Tune in next week....

...Wait until they get similar treatment for refusing to add ODF plugins to
Office. Instead of ribbons and resource-hogging graphics they could do
something that is actually a step in the right direction.

I look forward to the day when I can send (and receive) ISO standard-based
files to colleagues who happen to use Microsoft Office. PDF is a nice
bridge, but it's not editable. LaTeX (or its abstractions) is something that
not all have mastered, so it's usually Office users who get it done their
way (their file formats, even when OO is used).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux + tax = Mac OS = (Windows - functionality)