Re: [News] Big Profits from Free Software

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Monday 03 July 2006 10:44 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Opera making big profits from free software
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Despite the fact that it is free, the company is hugely profitable...
>> | Opera Software is a company listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange focussed
>> | solely on web browsers... For 2004 (the last year for which results have
>> | been posted to its web site, in generated a gross profit of around $US14
>> | million on revenues of $US30 million.
>> `----
>>
>>                         http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/4709/127/
>
> Its hard to believe, I like Opera its my prefered browser, but where does
> the money come into it.

With the Web browser installed on one's computer, they can 'channel' the
users. The shopping and search facilities is how Opera still makes the
money, without additional adverts or product costs.

Netscape used to have portals; Mozilla has made 72 million dollars last year,
from the Google search bar alone.

> All I can think is that they have sold 5 million teeshirts.
>
> By the way, for those going for the Opera update, forget about doing it via
> the rpm's. There will almost certainly be dependancy problems if your
> system is up to date and for the first time Opera got up my nose, because
> on their forum their are talking as if it is your distros fault,
> redhat,fdc,suse,... so don't look like they intend doing anything about it,
> when in fact they have tied the rpm's to an older version of libstdc++.
>
> So instead go for the .tar.gz version, it is still a single install command
> ./install_sh, but will install faultlessly.

When I last installed Opera, it was a simple drag-and-drop job, using the
compressed archive. No need to install either, assuming you run the
executable from the location where Opera gets 'dropped'. In that respect, it
was similar to my experience with OS X installations. It is more difficult
in Windows XP because it requires more prior knowledge which many take for
granted.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Falsity implies anything