[News] Desktop Linux Adoption: The Key Remains Just Public Mindset

A Real Year of the Linux Desktop--What's Needed

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell says this is the year of the Linux desktop, and I'm familiar
| with evidence showing gains in popularity for Linux. Yet, I disagree
| that this is the year. Nothing is happening this year to make it,
| specifically, the year of the Linux desktop and I'm going to hypothesize
| what could change that.
|
| To me, there's no contest, GNU/Linux systems have been offering more
| innovative, stable, easily productive, and pleasant desktop systems
| (KDE for example) for years. However, that's not enough to move Linux
| to a place where it challenges the automatic momentum both Microsoft
| and Apple enjoy within the mindset of the general population (at least
| in North America--perhaps elsewhere this is different). The mindset of
| the user/customer environment is what is needed to turn it into the year
| of the Linux desktop?Novell isn't making much of a dent in this
| regard.
`----

http://www.pundit.ca/article/a-real-year-of-the-linux-desktop-whats-needed/

In my personal opinion, public opinion, unlike technical merits (which are
already there) have an exponential effect (buzz/cattle effect).