Re: Diet Soda and Your Music Going Flat!

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Tuesday 04 July 2006 11:54 \__

> Quote:
> -------------
> Unfortunately, for some music lovers their music library could go flat
> as quickly as a soda. In 2004, Coke launched an online music store
> called mycokemusic. They quickly became the #1 online music store in
> the UK. Well, a lot changes in a couple of years on the net and what
> was once a shining success is now a distant player behind iTunes UK.
> So, Coke has decided to shutter the service by the end of July.
>
> The problem for customers is that mycokemusic sold digitally restricted
> files in Microsoft's Windows Media format. When buyers play their songs
> they are required to phone to the mothership and request authorization.
> But Coca Cola's announcement means the mothership is going away. With
> no authorization those purchased songs become digital flotsam because
> they will not play at all and the consumers entire music investment
> vanishes. It's a stark illustration that buying DRM songs is really a
> rental not a purchase because someone else controls your access to the
> property. (See: You Own Nothing)
>
> http://www.michaelrobertson.com/

That's a very intersting analogy which I never thought of before. The issue
of ownership is completely changed once the media is not only encrypted, but
is also bound to a vendor. Stating the obvious perhaps, but whoever complies
with DRM will one day have regrets. But the vendors will have made big
profits by then...