Re: [News] India to Translate GNU/Linux

begin  oe_protect.scr
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| 'We plan to bring computing power to non-English speaking people by
>| translating the desktop menus, help messages, files, FAQs, error
>| messages etc., of GNU Linux System in various Indian languages,'
>| C-DAC officials said.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| It has worked alongside groups like the IITs, IIITs, Indlinux, ankurbangla
>| (a project for localisation of Bangla), HBCSE(TIFR), FSF India,
>| MarathiOpenSource group and corporations like IBM.
> `----
>
> http://www.dailyindia.com/show/38637.php/India_seeks_translators_for_smoother_computing

This is excellent news.  Again, it very much shows the power and
flexibility of open-source, in this most particular of areas, that of
localisation.  This has been, for many populations, the most frustrating
aspect of proprietary code; the option for many populations has been to
learn English, or to do without.  Open-source returns to the computer to
its intended state as a tool to help people achieve things; with proper
localisation, people will be able to achieve so very much more.

Mother told me to be good but she's been wrong before.