Re: [News] Malware - You Thought it Was Easy...

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
,----[ Quote ]

| Preparing For Attacks
|
| ? Always use licensed software...

This'll protect my machine from malware precisely how? (notwithstanding the fact that Microsoft have seen fit, in their infinite wisdom, to withold forther security updates from unlicensed/improperly-licensed systems)

| ? Scan all systems regularly...

From experience, this is something Joe Sixpack just can't be bothered with. Don't try the gassing up the car analogy either, that doesn't wash with the overwhelming majority of them.

| ? Back up all systems on a regular schedule...

That's a given on /any/ system.

| ? Subscribe to security vendors' e-bulletins...

I work in the industry. If I stopped to read every bulletin I wouldn't have time to go earn money.

| ? Set up a response team...

This on top of previous?

| ? Set up a telephone list...

awha?

| ? Make sure that all appropriate personnel...
| | ? Have temporary backup/replacement systems...

SOP wherever I work is to a: install from backup copies b: backup userdata to nonvolatile memory (ie CDR/DVDR) first, and c: image stable installations for rapid recovery in the event of failure.

| ? Restoring systems will involve restoring data from firewalls...
| | ? Most attacks are introduced unknowingly by insiders...
`----

Which is why I advise my clients to lock down company workstations so that the only applications the users can run are the ones needed to get the job done. Own laptops are a big no-no, externally-sourced software is also a no-no, until and unless cleared and verified as safe for deployment on company property by the ICT manager (if there is one) or by the business proprietor.

One thing a lot of people don't get is that a computer deployed in a college, for example, is COLLEGE PROPERTY. It does NOT belong to the students, nor does it belong to the staff. Strictly speaking, the ONLY persons to have a say in what goes on, software-wise, is the ICT management staff after consultation with the curricular staff as to what /they/ need as regards application software for the students. After said software is installed, the workstations are locked tighter than a nun's fartpipe.

The law backs me up on this. Computer Misuse Act 1990 c18 section 3: unauthorised modification of computer materials:

3.—(1) A person is guilty of an offence if—

(a) he does any act which causes an unauthorised modification of the contents of any computer; and

(b) at the time when he does the act he has the requisite intent and the requisite knowledge.

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1)(b) above the requisite intent is an intent to cause a modification of the contents of any computer and by so doing—

       (a) to impair the operation of any computer;

(b) to prevent or hinder access to any program or data held in any computer; or

(c) to impair the operation of any such program or the reliability of any such data.

    (3) The intent need not be directed at—

       (a) any particular computer;

(b) any particular program or data or a program or data of any particular kind; or

(c) any particular modification or a modification of any particular kind.

Under said act, any and all ICT Centre, workstation or LAN settings set by ICT management are backed up and unauthorised modification to such (including the installation of software) carries criminal penalties on conviction, and possibly also due damages.

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=190300163&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_All

--
When all else fails...
Use a hammer.