Re: MS: OK. OK, we'll build an ODF killer. Er, we mean translator.

  • Subject: Re: MS: OK. OK, we'll build an ODF killer. Er, we mean translator.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 15:11:25 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Thursday 06 July 2006 14:33 \__

> Quote:
> ----------
> [PJ sees similar tactics by MS in ODF and Adobe disputes.]  So,
> Microsoft will let you download Adobe's PDF, if you absolutely insist,
> and install it yourself, but alternatively you can just use Microsoft's
> competing software, with its built-in competing PDF-like tools, making
> Adobe obsolete.
>
> Zap. Buh-bye, Adobe.
>
> Is Microsoft clever, or what? Ditto with ODF. Here's the choice it is
> trying to posit: You will have to download their ODF translator
> yourself and install it. Or, just stick with Microsoft's one-stop
> competing solution that is built in to their software offering.
> Considering Microsoft's monopoly position, and my mom's and most
> governments' typical technical skills, guess what Microsoft hopes moms
> and governments will choose? I see a plan in not building the ODF
> translator into Microsoft's software. So truly clever. It looks open.
> But it's marginalizing ODF. I think the press release might better have
> been titled, "Microsoft announces what it hopes will be its ODF
> killer."
> --------------
> End quote
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060706064747376

While that's quite true, since the plug-in is there, at least everyone can
demand colleagues, friends and family to send documents in ODF format. After
all, it's an ISO standard which is interoperable, much like PDF. Asking
somebody to install OpenOffice 2 just to export a PDF or produce an ODF file
has been harder thus far.

Either Pamela plays devil's advocate or she simply realises that any decision
made by the convicted monopolist is profit-driven, not ethics-inspired.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | UNIX: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste
  3:05pm  up 69 days 20:08,  11 users,  load average: 1.06, 1.19, 1.40