Re: [News] Microsoft Accepts OpenDocument Format

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+bends+on+OpenDocument/2100-7344_3-6090912.html?tag=nefd.top

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060706:MTFH34101_2006-07-06_05-53-16_N06394529&type=comktNews&rpc=44

> Thanks to Peter Quinn?

Now that I have my updated StarOffice I have my documents in ODF by default.
In normal use users wont notice a difference, just as they don't now, maybe
they will notice as it's use grows and they realise that they are not
locked into a particular application anymore, but half my users would only
notice a change if you put a post-it sticker on their screen.

It's clear right from the start that ODF is  going to be popular with IT
managers and home users who's backup tasks are getting too big or too slow.
ODF compresses for tape or backup-file extreemly well. No special tools
required.

Versioning documents in the backup process is going to be easier. Because it
is so easy to pick out sections that have changed, which in turn should
shorten backups even more and certainly reduce the space needed.

Staroffice, you know that built in database that has never worked? Right
back when I first used SO, in 1827 I think it was because I remember my
mate Joe Dixon had just invented a pencil with lead in it, SO would take
you through the the long long wizard setting up an address book or what
ever DB you choose, then when you press the last 'continue' button you get
a little box with a red cross, no message and the only option button 'OK'.
Of cause nothing at all is created in the database manager, Well on all the
machines I have had and all the installs of various StarOffice versions it
has always been there and now on the brand new version?

It's still there, I tend to feel that this is part of the product as if this
red cross is what holds everything in place, bit like the big book in the
top corner of your book case, you would love to read it but have a nagging
feeling that it is the only thing stopping the book case from collapsing
sideways.

In all other respects SO works as expected, some nice new touches to make
life easier. I suppose even this database setup bit could be said to be
working as expected, I wonder if they have added a setting so that you can
change the colour of the cross.