Re: [News] Why Proprietary Licenses Are a Bad Idea

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 07 July 2006 06:51 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Dr. Notes Cuts Off Customers, Demands Fee
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| A great example of the problems that you have with using a
>>| proprietary license for your EHR has been posted on GPLMedicine.org
>>| From the main article: (McGoverns) tech support contract with Boca
>>| Raton-based Dr. Notes was originally for $1,200 a year but the company
>>| wanted her to pay $5,000 a year. When McGovern refused, the company
>>| didn't give her an updated monthly password needed to access the
>>| program and view records, she said. You cant make this stuff up.'
>> `----
>>
>>                         http://www.linuxmednews.com/1152125116
>
> Proprietary locks on your health.  This is somewhat reminiscent of the
> race between the British and US teams to crack human DNA.  Fortunately,
> the British guys one, as they planned to make the information public -
> the US team were going to patent it.  Really.

No surprise there. Think BBC-CNN. It's all about ROI.

This reminds me of a talk that I attended a couple of days ago. These folks
are doing some highly large-scale gene research in Germany and they store
about 30 terabytes of data, which they make available through a Web-based
interface (you wouldn't want people downloading the entire shebang, would
you *wink*).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "How do I set my laser printer on stun?"
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  8:50am  up 70 days 13:53,  12 users,  load average: 0.48, 0.56, 0.94