Re: Hacker Goes Public with Unpatched Browser Bugs

  • Subject: Re: Hacker Goes Public with Unpatched Browser Bugs
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 09:40:31 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 07 July 2006 09:24 \__

> Quote:
> --------------
> "It doesn't really matter if Moore is doing this for publicity or to
> promote public safety on the Internet," said Gartner analyst Avivah
> Litan. "The fact remains that the browsers have too many
> vulnerabilities and we are all better off if Moore exposes them before
> the criminals exploit them."....
>
> ....Moore wrote a program that could test and gauge the effect of
> mangled Web page code on leading Internet browsers. Hundreds of crashes
> later, Moore discovered several dozen flaws, including 50 in Internet
> Explorer alone.
> --------
> End quote
>
> http://www.sci-tech-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=012001C8FE8C

It is easier to find vulnerabilities in a Web browser that is so adjacent to
the filesystem and treats the Web as such (as well as vice versa, i.e.
treating files and directories as though they were Web pages). This makes me
wonder about Konqueror, actually.

When Internet Explorer was rooted in, integrated into and merged with Windows
Explorer, it was intended to extinguish Netscape. Months ago Gates admitted
that it was a colossal mistake (not killing Navigator) to have done so.
Internet Explorer, which was falsely claimed in court to have made this
attribute irreversible, is yet to suffer for a long time, even in Windows
Vista (in the form of version 7). Escape it before it's too late (e.g.
computer gets hijacked).

I believe that Microsoft will try to retract the binding with the filesystem,
but will it not overcomplicate matters and shatter backward compatibility
(e.g. Explorer as a multi-threaded S/FTP client)? What a mess! No wonder
everyone's leaving, including Gates, Scoble (who have always raved about
Firefox) and the poor engineers that needed to test the dog.

Best wishes,