Re: The Halcyon Days of Ed Montgomery

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Friday 07 July 2006 16:10 \__

> Here is a happy post I found from Ed Montgomery from 2 years ago.
>
> I mean, there he is, working hard, and bringing in a low cost
> educational facility, when here comes Bill Gates, "Mr. Education" with
> some baseball bats and druggies to bash it all up.
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7906
>
> "Submitted by Ed Montgomery (not verified) on Mon, 2004-11-15 06:43.
>
> We are into our third year of using Linux, every day, all day, for
> computer science, computer engineering and communications technology
> classes. It's been heaven, compared to what I see going on in windows
> labs. The linux lab at Monarch Park Collegiate in Toronto has a 100%
> uptime record for going on 3 years!
>
> Started with a combination of Red Hat 7 and Mandrake 9.0, upgraded to
> 9.2, and now currently Mandrake 10.0 on 18 computers. Upgrades went
> without a hitch. Zero downtime, zero configuration on upgrades.
>
> Looking forward to many more years of hassle free computer lab
> instruction...:-)"

This is the fourth article that I come across, which mentions or involves a
dialogue with Ed Montgomery.

Ed Montgomery is now a sought-after man, much like Peter Quinn and David
Ferguson, who could get the EU to fine Microsoft a few more mil/billions.
When will Microsoft realise that its lobbyists/shills are playing with fire?
They only give their opponents more opportunity to take the podium and
spread The Facts. Read the last 2 paragraphs again. Ed is giving Linux free
positive publicity. No reader who is in education can ignore that. And he's
no zealot. He just doesn't accept the EULA and he knows what it takes to
teach CS/Eng.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useful fact: close elevator button = Express Mode
Cpu(s):  19.9% user,   3.5% system,  15.4% nice,  61.2% idle