Re: 10 Reasons to Love KDE

__/ [ hanumizzle@xxxxxxxxx ] on Friday 07 July 2006 16:56 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> http://sreidtech.wordpress.com/2006/07/06/10-things-i-love-about-kde/
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | (The list in brevity):
>> |
>> | 1. KIOSlaves
>> |
>> | 2. Krusader
>> |
>> | 3. YaKuake
>> |
>> | 4. Respect
>> |
>> | 5. KMyMoney
>> |
>> | 6. KDevelop
>> |
>> | 7. The Simple Things
>> |
>> | 8. It's About Choice Too
>> |
>> | 9. You Don't Get Functionality Like This Just Anywhere, You Know
>> |
>> | 10. Outlook Killer? Okay!
>> `----
>
> What I love about KDE most is pointing out to vi fans who trot out
> nonsense about Emacs memory consumption that kedit and kate actually
> consume more memory than Emacs (at least FSF) by default.
>
> (Oh, and 2 dozen buffers reload in about 5 seconds on my shitty box.)

Kedit seems to be deprecated. It appears to me as though kwrite has become
its successor in the K desktop environment. On my SuSE 8.1 (KDE 3.1), kedit
still exists, but it's inferior to kwrite. In SUSE 9.3, kedit doesn't even
exist... quick check over SSH to re-affirm this...

,----[ Commands ]
| roy@linux:~/Desktop> kedit
| -bash: kedit: command not found
`----

As for Kate, it is indeed rather bloated (all the command-line stuff with
translucency, apart from the kwrite pane), but I always have it open. Once
open, separate files can be opened in separate 'tabs' simultaneously, which
makes this a matter of milliseconds. It's always open in Desktop 4, waiting
to handle editing chores.

By the way, Kate is able to (much like the rest of KDE) operate on files that
lie on some remote S/FTP. It also incorporates plenty of features which need
exploration in order to be found and mastered. I also like nedit (used it
for 3 years), but never quite got the habit of working with emacs
efficiently. High and steep learning curve. Vim is good for quick, small and
dirty changes, unless the command-line is all you have available. Microsoft
WordPad (obligatory MS bashing) is good if you want your editor to jitter
every time you hit "save".

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    make install -not war
  5:20pm  up 70 days 22:23,  12 users,  load average: 0.86, 0.87, 0.98