Re: EU investigating new complaint about Microsoft

On Friday 07 July 2006 09:10 Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Let's wait and see how this develops.

Sure, but catch for this:-

QUOTE
In the Wednesday reply, Tradacete said the commission isn't aware of any
obligation for PC makers to sell their products with Windows.

PC makers receive rebates for including Windows, Tradacete noted.

"We suspect" that PC makers' decision to preload Windows is based on
consumer demand, Tradacete wrote. "If this information is confirmed, the
conduct of PC manufacturers would be justified by pure commercial reasons
and may not fall under the provisions of EC competition law."
END QUOTE

Now just go to the Dell UK site.
You can add or subtract almost anything from one of their PCs - EXCEPT the
OS.
I don't buy the theory that it's expensive for them to offer the "No OS"
option - they can offer Home or Pro, and umpteen versions of Office, any
amount of H/W, RAM, disk, CD/DVD options - they can just as easily offer a
"none" option for the OS.

"PC makers receive rebates for including Windows, Tradacete noted"
What the hell does that mean?  That Dell are being paid to put it on?  I
doubt it, but if they ARE being paid to put it on, that's Dumping?  If
that's the case, the EU ought to be saving MS some money by stopping it!

I suspect that what it really means is that there is a financial incentive
to put it on ALL PCs - e.g. by offering licences in such a way that there
is a large discount if the manufacturer buys sufficient licences to more
than cover his total production.  That way, he pays for a licence whether
he included the OS or not.  If that's the case, it needs stopping.

The only argument for the practice is the old one that it stops "piracy".
However, MS has just demonstrated to us that it is quite capable of stopping
"piracy", so there's no excuse any more, is there?

I'll believe that all is fair and above board when I can click "none" for
the OS on the Dell site, and see the price drop by something comparable to
the price that Dell charges to buy the OS separately!
As it is, they offer the "OS media" for under 6 quid - say 10 bucks.  That's
as much as the difference should be between buying pre-installed, and
buying [a PC with No OS + plus buying the OS CDs.]