Re: Comments on new MS Plug-in

  • Subject: Re: Comments on new MS Plug-in
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 14:30:23 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Jim ] on Saturday 08 July 2006 14:21 \__

> Linonut wrote:
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, B Gruff belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>>
>>> Comments on new MS Plug-in:-
>>>
>>> "This is clearly inferior to the OpenDocument Foundation plug-in for
>>> Word, which elegantly adds ODF as another, peer file format so you can
>>> open, save and work with files in a natural way. Microsoft has
>>> architected this to make ODF as hard to work with as possible - imported
>>> files are read-only, there's no export function until late this year at
>>> the earliest, and you can't set ODF as the default file format"
>>>
>>> http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/webmink?entry=kicking_and_screaming
>>
>> Well, you'd expect Microsoft to fuck it, whether deliberately or through
>> their own narrowmindness or the incompetence of the developers they
>> picked for the job.
>>

> I told ya they'd break it. Soon comes the "We told you ODF was shite,
> but did you listen?". Water off a duck's back.

They already have that performance FUD. Average users don't don't understand
the value of openness (trough careful structuring), yet. They only can sense
speed and portability (from one Windows machine to another, that is).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | What is all that lipstick in XP's close button?
  2:25pm  up 71 days 19:28,  12 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.23, 0.35