Re: Another Windows XP fuckup...

__/ [ Chris Wilkinson ] on Saturday 08 July 2006 14:42 \__

> Hi there,
>
> I bought a WinFast TV2000 XP Expert TV card to install in my
> 2nd PC today. I seated the card in a spare PCI slot, started
> the PC, and proceeded to follow the install instructions for
> using the card in Windows XP. After several minutes the driver
> install borked, and I was left with a partially installed and
> non-working driver/app suite for the TV card. Several hours
> of googling and attempts to solve the driver install issues
> and still no TV-card in Windows
>
> Out of curiosity I decided to boot Kubuntu to see if the card
> could be run from there. After installing the needed video 4
> linux stuff, and tvtime, I clicked the new tvtime icon and
> after a quick channel scan to acquire some channels it all
> just worked...
>
> For all the autorun driver CD's and other things designed to
> prevent user 'fiddling to get stuff working' in Windows, you
> think they'd test it better to prevent fuck-ups? Nah! If it
> wasn't for needing to learn AutoCAD I'd nuke the partition
> that crock of fucked-up shit called Windows sits on, and turn
> it into a MythTV PVR recordings folder right now...

Chris, I dropped my last Windows partition about a year ago. Have you
considered AutoCAD through emulation, remote access or virtualisation (needs
O/S licence)? You needn't have a Windows partition in order to run Windows
software. My professional life has been so much easier once the Windows
nuisance (which it constantly was) reached its bitter end. I am saying this
wholeheartedly.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Did anyone see my lost carrier?"
Tasks: 181 total,   2 running, 162 sleeping,   0 stopped,  17 zombie