Re: [News] GNU Selectively Embraces Linux Distributions

In article <3043389.uOOYHXR5Wy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roy Schestowitz quoted:
> All of the GNU/Linux distributions listed contained 100% free software. In
> today's computing environment, this is generally a novel concept. The
> majority of GNU/Linux distributions today do not contain all free software
> - there are sometimes restricted copyrights associated with the software,
> or the kernel is modified and contains proprietary components, etc. This
> is the case with distributions such as Ubuntu, SuSE, and Mepis, among most
> others.

Indeed, the only six distributions that consist entirely of free software in
the distribution itself and on the main distribution site, according to FSF,
are:

    UTUTO-e
    Dynebolic
    BLAG
    GNUstep
    Musix GNU+Linux
    AGNULA

Most of these I'd never heard of, and never seen mentioned here, so here is
a description of them:

AGNULA:

    The AGNULA project is a volunteer based project aiming to spread Libre
    Software in the professional audio and video arena.

    AGNULA's main task is the development of a reference multimedia
    distribution for the GNU/Linux operating system completely based on Free
    Software as approved by the Free Software Foundation. It's called DeMuDi
    and is based on Debian.

    We also provide a music download database where our users can share
    tunes that are released under a free content license. There are over
    1000 tracks to download, and it's all free music! You are invited to
    share the music, find new artists and help us maintain a collection of
    royalty-free audio content. Please add your music if you are in the
    position to publish it under a free license.

<http://www.agnula.org/>

GNUstep:

    GNUstep (this is a Live CD, an OS, a distribution) contains a lot of
    software for GNUstep, a free implementation of the OPENSTEP framework
    (which was also the base as Cocoa in Mac OS X). It includes an excellent
    application called Gorm for RAD (Apple Software Design Guidelines). More
    about the Objective-C Language. The currently used window manager is
    Window Maker.

    The software on this CD as well as the whole content is Free Software.
    This policy is firm and if you find anything on the CD that is non-free,
    please contact me. I will then promptly remove it.

<http://www.linuks.mine.nu/gnustep/>

UTUTO-e:

    UTUTO is a GNU/Linux distribution whose name remembers a small lizard or
    Gecko from the north of Argentina

    Its first version, massively distributed in October of year 2000 in
    Argentina by Diego Saravia of the National University of Salta, was very
    simple to use. It worked from CD-ROM with no need of installation. It
    was one of the first "lives" of the planet. ISBN 987-9381-06-8.

<https://www.ututo.org/www/?country=ENGLISH>

Dynebolic:

    You don't need to install anything, you don't even need an harddisk to
    run a whole free software operating system running out of the box on
    your PC! Download the ISO-image, burn your own CD, reboot your machine
    and you'll get back true love ;^)

    dyne:bolic is shaped on the needs of media activists, artists and
    creatives as a practical tool for multimedia production: you can
    manipulate and broadcast both sound and video with tools to record,
    edit, encode and stream, having automatically recognized most device and
    peripherals: audio, video, TV, network cards, firewire, usb and more;
    all using only free software!

    You can employ this operating system without the need to install
    anything, and if you want to run it from harddisk you just need to
    copy a directory: the easiest installation ever seen!
    It is optimized to run on slower computers, turning them into a
    full media stations: the minimum you need is a pentium1 or k5 PC
    64Mb RAM and IDE CD-ROM, or a modded XBOX game console - and if you
    have more than one, you can easily do clusters.

    dyne:bolic is RASTA software released free under the GNU General
    Public License.
    This software is about Digital Resistance ina babylon world which
    tries to control and market the way we communicate, we share our
    interests and knowledge.

    The roots of the Rastafari movement are in resistance to slavery:
    this software is one step in the struggle for Redemption and
    Freedom from proprietary and closed-source software.

<http://dynebolic.org/>

(In case you don't know what RASTA software is, here's an explanation:

    This is Rasta software

    Jah  Rastafari  Livity  bless  our  Freedom! This is free software, you
    should  share  it  for  the  good  of yourself and your people, respect
    others  and let them express, be free and let others be free. Live long
    and prosper in Peace!

    But  remember there is no Peace without Justice. This software is about
    Resistance  ina  babylon world which tries to control more and more the
    way  we  communicate  and  we  share  informations  and knowledge. This
    software  is  for  all  those  who  cannot  afford  to  have the latest
    expensive  hardware  to speak out their words of consciousness and good
    will. This software has a full range of applications for the production
    and not only the fruition of information, it's a full multimedia studio
    and  has  nothing to envy to other proprietary systems, because freedom
    and  share  of  knowledge are solid principles for evolution and that's
    where this software comes from.

    In  the  panorama  of existing operating systems we see that there is a
    great  number  of  possibilities  to  listen:  all  kinds  of  "free to
    download" players for audio and video, but no easy way for everybody to
    speak  out  loud  and  spread  their  words.  The  way communication is
    structured  follows  the  hierarchy  of  powers allready established in
    babylon's   mediascapes  and,  worst  than  ever,  money  is  the  main
    requirement  for  making  a  voice  spread  and possible to be heard by
    others.

    Neverthless,  proprietary software spreads the dependence from business
    companies  thru the populace: whenever we share our knowledge on how to
    use  a  certain  software,  we make the people in need to buy the tools
    from  merchants  in  order  to  express their creativity. This is great
    responsability  for  anyone  of  us  who  teaches  somebody  how  to do
    something  with  software:  the  need  to buy will be slavery under the
    merchantile interests of capitalism.

    The  roots of Rasta culture can be found in Resistance to slavery. This
    software  is  not a business. This software is free as of speech and is
    one  step  in the struggle for Redemption and Freedom. This software is
    dedicated  to  the  memory  of  Patrice Lumumba, Marcus Garvey, Marthin
    Luther  King, Steve Biko, Walter Rodney, Malcom X, Mumia Abu Jamal, and
    all those who still resist to slavery, racism and oppression, who still
    fight  imperialism and seek an alternative to the egemony of capitalism
    in our World.

<http://rastasoft.org/resistance.txt>).

BLAG:

    blag - le brixton linux action group

    works to overthrow corporate control of information and technology
    through community action and spreading Free Software.

    blag - blag linux and gnu

    blag is an operating system. blag has a suite of graphics, internet,
    audio, video, office, and peer  to peer file sharing applications. you
    can replace a windoz installation with blag. if you would like to
    install and run blag, download and burn it to cd.

<http://www.blagblagblag.org/>

Musix GNU+Linux:

    It is a Free Operating system intended for musicians and users in
    general. It also contains an enormous collection of free programs. The
    system will boot from your CD/DVD drive, with no need to install
    anything on your hard disk. The programs currently support the Spanish
    and English languages.

<http://www.musix.org.ar/wiki/index.php/What_is_Musix>

Interesting that 3 of the 6 are aimed somewhat at music or audio.

--
--Tim Smith