Re: [News] A List of Linux Myths

__/ [ mlw ] on Monday 10 July 2006 13:56 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Common Myths About Linux OS
>>
>> ,----[ Gist ]
>> | Is it for Free?
>> | Must be Difficult
>> | Can I access the Internet Through It?
>> | Will it Crash?
>> | What about Viruses?
>> | How do you memorize so many commands?
>> | What about Compatibility?
>> | Can I attach it to a Network?
>> | Can I chat with IRC, MSN or Yahoo?
>> | What about miscellaneous hardware like Flash Drives or Webcams?
>> | How about ripping CDs?
>> | What will happen to my Windows?
>> | Will my existing hardware work?
>> | Are there any Office Suites that come with it?
>> | Is it secure?
>> | Support for Games?
>> `----
>>

> http://www.pawas.com/articles/Linux/Common_Myths_About_The_Linux_OS.htm
>>
>> This gives you a clue of how scarce a knowledge people have of Linux. A
>> colleague of mine thought that Linux was "all command0line". That was less
>> than a year ago. He is working in IT support services.
> Not only that, the supposedly "cluefull" guy is a moron:
>
> "What about Viruses?
> There are a very few known viruses which have been affected Linux. So its
> considerably safe from viruses, worms etc."

Ouch. So much for people to whom Linux is "all command-line" or "just for
servers".

> This is a logical fallacy, the real reason is the protection and security
> model of Linux make it difficult or impossible for viruses to propagate.
>
> "What about Compatibility?
> Linux uses Ext2 or Ext3 file systems, which can literally access Windows
> Fat, Fat32 or even NTFS file systems. So if you are running two OSs like
> Winx and Linux (Mandrake 9.0, for example) you can access your
> Windows-based partitions from within Linux."
>
> This is moronic, it has nothing to do with ext2/ext3 file system, it has to
> do with multiple file system support.

You are quite right. I should have read that essay carefully before posting.
By the way, Linux distributions are beginning to support NTFS write-to.
Apart from the tool which is out there, Xandros (among others?) has it
integrated, i.e. it works 'out of the box'.

> "Are there any Office Suits that come with it?" Where can I get an office
> "suit?"

So you noticed that I fixed a typo or two in the above snippet, eh? *smile*
Unless you are Tux, you get no office suit (or tuxedo) with your free Linux
CD.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz    The Holy Bible: http://www.gtk.org/documentation.html
  2:20pm  up 73 days 19:23,  12 users,  load average: 0.42, 0.49, 0.73