Re: [News] Microsoft Nicks Code for ODF Translator from LGPL Project

  • Subject: Re: [News] Microsoft Nicks Code for ODF Translator from LGPL Project
  • From: Geico Caveman <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:00:41 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 12:28:51 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Microsoft Grabs Some Code for its ODF Plugin... From the ODF Fellowship
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| It seems that when Microsoft was looking to build its new ODF plugin, it
>>| took a short cut. It seems to have grabbed some code from the
>>| OpenDocument Fellowship's program that converts ODF to HTML, written by
>>| J. David Eisenberg. His code is released under a dual license, the LGPL
>>| and the Apache 2.0 license. Microsoft has put it into its ODF plugin,
>>| which is licensed under the BSD license.
>> `----
>>
>>         http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060709143240795
>>
>> As I said before, Microsoft feared having third-parties with permissive
>> licences taking over Office. It was never a case of good will.
>
> Actually, the code is dual-licensed as LGPL/Apache, and Apache license is
> basically BSD.

Can't really help yourself now, FUDbush, can you ?

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/apache2.0.php

"1 You must give any other recipients of the Work or Derivative Works a copy
of this License; and
2 You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating that
You changed the files; and "

Definition of "Derivative Works" :

"Derivative Works" shall mean any work, whether in Source or Object form,
that is based on (or derived from) the Work and for which the editorial
revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications represent, as
a whole, an original work of authorship. For the purposes of this License,
Derivative Works shall not include works that remain separable from, or
merely link (or bind by name) to the interfaces of, the Work and Derivative
Works thereof."

Does Microsoft give a copy of the Apache 2.0 license to people who download
the plugin ?

> Still, if you look at the "code", it's standard XSLT bolierplate.
> Claiming that someone "stole" it would be like claiming someone stole your
> "if-then-else" clause, which is what the matching code primarily is, logic
> constructs, which have to be identical because they're mandated by the
> language.

Then why is Microsoft coming out with so many such ridiculous patent
applications ? Maybe you should ask your bosses.