Re: GNU/Linux Breaks Microsoft Invincibility Myths

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ hanumizzle@xxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 19 July 2006 04:06 \__
>
> > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> >> __/ [ hanumizzle@xxxxxxxxx ] on Sunday 16 July 2006 10:35 \__

> http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Home/C91CCB7E-A668-4B0A-ABB6-98840AC8A317_files/msair.png

> >> Are you thinking about Script/Python FU for the logo, or the
> >> edges  of  the image (effects)? I can't quite recognise  it,
> >> but  the  author  seems  like a Machead  (based  on  article
> >> content), so it's unlikely to be GIMP'ed.
> >
> > No, I meant the sign. See the curvy text next to 'Low Oxygen'. It's
> > certainly in the Grantha family, I'm guessing Khmer, or just maybe an
> > unusual variant of Thai (less likely I think).
>
> I have seen Thai writings before (my neighbours and colleague are Thai, even
> a T-shirt that I have contains Thai), but it looks only similar, yet not
> quite /it/. But I wouldn't be qualified to judge...

Then ask the other Roy. :) The two are related but I think it's
*probably* Khmer; the thick strokes and shape of the letters suggest
it. The only reason I couldn't positively identify it is because the
font is kind of weird; neither alphabet has vowel diacritics that
should look like a gob of toothpaste...

Brahmic alphabets are really interesting.

It's a little known fact that all Brahmic alphabets (Devanagari,
Bangla, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Khmer, Lao, etc.) represent a top-down
diagram of acceptable traffic maneuvers in the region where they are
used. One time, someone abruptly pulled out in front of me on a bicycle
once in Krung Thep, so I pulled a Khor Khuad really quick to avoid a
collision.

Seriously, if you look at the original scripts of India whence the Mon
family were derived, the similarities are almost immediately obvious.
Thai characters for instance can easily be compared to those seen in
modern Malayali, Devanagari, etc. And of course the concept of
place-value was an advanced novelty when it was first introduced, so
the character for zero is the same as ours; the associated word being
'sun', derived from the Sanskrit 'sunya', meaning 'void' or 'nothing'.
The Thai/Lao word 'sunya' also means 'promise', which may be wry joke.
:)