Re: Microsoft warns Google off business search

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft warns Google off business search
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:39:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Jim ] on Tuesday 18 July 2006 14:24 \__
>
>> nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> Quote:
>>> ------------------
>>> Microsoft has warned Google to steer clear of corporate search,
>>> declaring that the market is "our house"....
>>>
>>> "Those people are not going to be allowed to take food off our plate,
>>> because that is what they are intending to do."
>>> ---------------
>>> End quote
>>>
>>> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2160431/microsoft-warns-google-business
>>
>> my reply: Fuck you Microsoft, you are NOT the Yellow Pages. It's a free and
>> open market, and you have to expect competition; if it's better than you,
>> then change your business practices. If it isn't, then don't worry about
>> it. The consumer will decide one way or the other.
>
> The  vain  attitude  which is conveyed in  these  quotes  is
> enough  proof  to show that arrogance in Microsoft  is  what
> drives its aggressive behaviour. It's more of a bully than a
> friendly rival.

I know I've said it a few times, but I do not believe that MS have the
internal culture to compete in a normal fashion;  they've spent decades
looking for left-field plays, many of which have been illegal, some are
just plain threats, that to do anything else probably seems too wussy to
their senior managers.  A lot of senior folk do like to strut.

Microsoft might have a future if the senior management team is replaced
with one which has competence in /legal/ competition methods.

Alimony is like buying oats for a dead horse.
		-- Arthur Baer