Re: Working with Linux is a dream

  • Subject: Re: Working with Linux is a dream
  • From: Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:49:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 01:51:44 -0700, NoNamer wrote:

> mlw wrote:
>> Across my desk I have three monitors, two are connected to one computer via
>> an nVidia dual head card. The third is connected to a second computer. I
>> used the program "x2x" to share the keyboard across the two systems
>> seamlessly.
>>
>> I have CNN with TVTime, AIM with gaim, running on one 17" LCD flat screen, I
>> have a bunch of programs spread across the two 19" 1280x1024 LCD flat
>> screens.
>>
>> The only sad thing is that I can't drag programs from one machine to
>> another.
>>
>> I have OpenOffice.org, a wealth of office type programs, a wealth of
>> development programs, and all the infrastructure I could imagine.
>>
>> Oh, and yes, I haven't bought software in years.
>>
>> What's not to love about Linux?
>
> Things I hate about Linux:
>
> 1)  Unpolished GUI, fuzzy fonts (ugly), unpolished icons (some just
> ugly), inconsistent dialog boxes (spacing, sizing, fonts).  Still
> *looks* like a hobbyist OS to me.

Then you haven't looked at it lately. Certainly SUSE and Ubuntu look
nothing like a hobbyists OS.

> 2)  Unsupported hardware or features in drivers

Depends on the hardware, but it's not a fault of Linnux, more a fault of
the vendorts who won't give out specs so that features can be supported

> 3)  Limited 3rd party commercial application support

True, but again, this isn't down to any weakness in Linux

> 4)  Can't run MS Office natively (and Outlook!)

Frankly, that's a plus to many.

> 5)  Can't develop in MS .Net and use Visual Studio 2005

Plenty of other develpment environments are available.

> 6)  Can't play the majority of games.

Only a problem if you like games, and some think dedicated game consoles
are better anyway

> 7)  Doesn't sync. well with mobile devices (if at all)

Depends very much on the device.

> 8)  Lousy support from ATI on hardware 3D

Blame ATI. Though the situation seems to be improving a little.

> 9)  Horrible printing support (CUPS?)  lol

Printing support is actually quite good.

> 10)  Inconsistent application installer - some good some bad

What do you mean? Software installation depends on which system is used -
you've basically got RPM or .deb or compiling. For any .deb system there
is apt/synaptic and similar tools, and RPM distros usually have much the
same kind of tools c.f urpmi or yum). All deal with dependency issues and
work in broadly the same manner. Compiling stuff is for the more advanced
user.

> 11)  Horrible and unintuitive application naming conventions

LOL. You're whining about what aps are *called*?

> 12)  Still requires lots of tweaking to get things to work correctly

Not necessarily. Some distros do, but the majors are less and less likely
to require it. I did pretty much nothing to get Ubuntu to install and work
on my old laptop, and it looks gorgeous, not like some'hobbyists' OS.

> 13)  The community which lies about Windows to make Linux look better

As opposed to the 'comunity' which lies about Linux, and has lied
consistently for years? Both sides are going to say their OS is best. You
can't say the Linux side does anything the Windows/Mac side doesn't.

> (just STFU about Windows and concentrate on promoting Linux and making
> it better)

That I agree with. Windows is irrelevant.

> Things I like about Linux:
>
> 1)  It's free:  No serial numbers, activation or genuine advantage
> spyware (although commercial versions are definitely not free -
> especially if you want support - see RedHat for example)
> 2)  Lots of included software in the distros... although not very high
> quality or documented very well.

Lots of Linux software is of very high quality. Docs could often be
improved, though.

> 3)  Highly customizable out-of-the-box
> 4)  Source code available (although this is only a 'feature' if you
> know what to do with it or have any intentions to do something with it
> - for consumers, it's mostly useless)
> 5)  Creates competition in the marketplace which makes MS work a LOT
> harder and keeps prices in check.
>
> Best part about Linux is #1 - I absolutely *HATE* Windows activation
> and genuine advantage (spyware).  Although I have to say, It's
> definitely worth it to me.  (Most people never have to deal with this
> anyways - it's already activated on all new PCs) - but it bothers me :D

Frankly, Windows activation and all that goes with it is uttely
unacceptable. It's nobody's business but mine what kit I may or may not
choose to add/remove/alter in any PC I own. Particularly if the PC comes
with a pre-loaded OS that does not have a supplied Windows OS disc (not
some stupid roll-back disc).

If Windows comes with a PC, then I paid for it. Beyond that, MS has no
right to tell me what I can or cannot do to the hardware I paid for.

--
Kier