Re: [News] Choose Windows, Double the Cost of Your PC

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:30:23 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Microsoft Landed On Us
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Windows XP Professional OEM - Â98.08
>>| Microsoft Office (Small Business Edition) OEM - Â157.74
>>| Paint Shop Pro - Â67.85
>>|
>>| This yields a grand total of Â323.67. In one fell swoop, I doubled the
>>| cost of the PC... I simply couldn't believe it at first; it seems
>>| illogical that to do absolutely everything I can do for free with Linux,
>>| in order to do the same with Microsoft, I?d have to spend twice as
>>| much.
>> `----
>>
>>                                 http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=47
>
> You can't do everything you could do in Linux.

Well, yeah, for a start it's bloody hard to get a Win32 root exploit to run
in Linux.

> For example, Paint Shop
> Pro
> can use any photoshop plug-in available, can the Gimp?  On Windows, you
> can, with pspi, but not Linux.

Why would one want to use a plugin that gives Photoshop/PSP half the
functionality and robustness of GIMP, on GIMP?

> Ok, so maybe such a machine could do everything YOU want to do in Linux,
> but that's not the same thing.

Isn't it?
What do I want to do on Linux?
You don't know, you have no idea, not even the slightest clue.

Here's a clue of what I *don't* (want to) do in Linux:
I don't want to be fighting browser hijackings, popups/unders,
"productivity"* suite functionality, etc, that only serve to disrupt my
working day;
I don't want to be rooting through a registry to find one obscure setting so
I can use multitudes of external block devices (or shock horror, test
them!);
I don't want to spend the first forty five minutes of my working day waiting
for a system to be ready to *use* after having gone through a spyware/virus
sweep, file defrag, 9,000-odd system services, modules and event monitors
I don't want to be /fighting/ the kernel for resources just so I can get
shit done.

Which is *why* I moved to Linux.

*I put that in quotes because IMHO, MS Office is a joke as far as
"productivity" goes. Only Microsoft could come up with an application that
allows a complete stranger to do untold damage to your computer system
simply by opening an attachment in an email. Sometimes you don't even have
to open the message *body*.

> Consider that it costs more to fuel a car for it's lifetime than the cost
> of the car (even if you include interest paid via loans).  Why would it
> seem strange that the software for a PC might exceed the cost of the PC?

I'll repeat: So? Cars need gasoline, computers need electricity. NEXT!
--
When all else fails...
Use a hammer.

http://www.dotware.co.uk