Re: [News] Get GNU/Linux or Get Pwned

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ BearItAll ] on Monday 17 July 2006 15:46 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>>                 http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/tech/windows98.html
>>
>> There are always some wanting to hold on to the old versions, what ever the
>> OS. MS can't really be expected to keep them current, we just have to call
>> on the Pirates code 'Them as falls behind stays behind'.
>

> I met people who were still suing Netscape 4, for E-mail and
> perhaps browsing, too.
>

>> These people have had plenty of time to opt for Linux if they wanted to,
>> chances are they are staying with 98 simply because of their games
>> collections, so I can't see them wiping off a system that they will not be
>> able to replace.
>>
>> Some people in a forum I use still say that XP doesn't play all of the
>> games that they have properly and when you concider some of those games
>> cost them £30-50, you can understand their reluctance to abandon it.
>

> Windows boasts its backward compatibility. I often see clock
> speed as an issue, especially if you run DOS games without a
> decent  emulator.  In any case, if such people were  to  use
> GNU/Linux,  they  could just create multiple partitions  and
> then  install (for free) all their favourite  distributions,
> including that nostalgic trail with older libraries. With an
> out-of-date Wine I can still run some Windows programs. With
> some  other  emulators I can still play my  favourite  Super
> Nintendo and Megadrive games (been a while though).

There's nothing to stop /anyone/ from running an old Win98 system, so
long as they don't connect it to the net.  They can dual-boot with a
proper OS like Linux for when they want to go online, and even have the
advantage that Linux can read and write to the Win98 filesystem, and
even run a lot of the programmes there using wine, dosemu and dosbox.
But, if they /really/ want it, the Win98 will be available to boot into.

T-shirt:
	Life is *not* a Cabaret, and stop calling me chum!