Re: My name being used.

__/ [ Tone ] on Monday 17 July 2006 07:49 \__

> On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 00:48:12 +0100, me@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>>On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 12:20:45 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
>><newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>It  is not to be understood. The mail client or news  reader
>>>automatically  hides  it  while interpreting  the  sequence.
>>>Given  your  key, it is possible to say for certain  if  the
>>>message was composed by you. It is flagged in the form of an
>>>icon  or some other notification type. There is no other way
>>>which  is reliable. That's what digital signatures are  for.
>>>Anybody  who  refuses to sign or encrypt is  susceptable  to
>>>fraud through social engineering, e.g. someone contacts your
>>>ISP  or boss pretending to yourself, causing you trouble  or
>>>extracting key information like passwords.
>>
>>I have got this far but how do you tell I am genuine. That is the bit
>>I do
>>not understand yet?
>>pete

There is a lot of information which explains the basic concepts (a two-way
authentication) in the PGP/GPG Web pages. You ought to include a link to
your key in the message headers. There is only one key for each E-mail
address and your file/webspace identifies you uniquely. In my case, for
example, the key is at: http://schestowitz.com/PGP

It can also be fetched given its identifier: 74572E8E

> HAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
> Told you so
>
> Pete, here's a tip mate, make sure you include your PGP key on all the
> posts by your socks too

I have no clue what is happening, but surely there's some background to this
story. I never realised it was a community-type newsgroup...