Re: Wow, KDE is way too much

  • Subject: Re: Wow, KDE is way too much
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:16:51 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Ian Hilliard ] on Sunday 16 July 2006 21:02 \__

> George Ellison wrote:
>
>> Ian Hilliard <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> It is horses for courses.
>>>
>>> The Gnome team are trying to produce a simple desktop for the corporate
>>> market. In this market, the IT department doesn't want changes to me made
>>> by the staff. To meet this requirement, it is very difficult to customise
>>> Gnome.
>>>
>>> KDE is a general purpose desktop for those people that are "Masters of
>>> their own universe". KDE is very flexible and allows a lot of
>>> customisation. For your average desktop user, this is probably a better
>>> solution.

These are very good points. Made a mental note...

>>> I originally moved from KDE to Gnome because it gave me better battery
>>> life. Now it has grown on me and I like it's elegant simplicity. Still, I
>>> wish that it were a lot more configurable.

I'm hearing that GNOME has become almost as resource-intensive as KDE, but I
very much doubt it. I was never sure how/if choice of colours affects
drainage (not screen backlight), but CPU certainly devours a great deal of
battery juice, assuming the screen's consumption of power is unfirm across
platforms. KDE can probably be customised to be as light as GNOME.

>>> Life is compromise. It is for each of us to weight those factors that are
>>> most important to ourselves. If someone else has different priorities,
>>> then live with it. More importantly, enjoy the fact that you can actually
>>> choose. Most OS's don't give you that option.
>>
> Isn't choice lovely!!!

[sarcasm /] Precisly. And KDE makes plenty of choices available. *grin*

Best wishes,

roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    The most satisfying eXPerience is UNIX
Swap:  1036184k total,   627948k used,   408236k free,    65184k cached