Re: Class Action Over Faulty Software Product

__/ [ Gaz ] on Sunday 16 July 2006 12:29 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As you may know, Microsoft has ended its support for Windows 98. To quote
>> an
>> article from yesterday:
>>

> Considering most users have not downloaded a single windows update to their
> win98 system since they bought it, why should we be concerned now?
>
> Win98se is an excellent programme, only bettered on x86 by Microsofts own
> successors. Maybe in another few years linux will have the same level of
> compatibility and ease of use as a home operating system, that win98se had.

I  agree.  Windows 98 SE was the last Windows system that  I
used  and  most people refuse to patch it. /However/,  let's
change  the goalposts and speak of the many XP machines  out
there,  which  after 5 years of 'maturity', continue  to  be
insecure.  The flaw /du jour/ is not going to stop even when
Vista is released. An incentive must be put forward in order
for Microsoft to redesign their O/S until it is secure. They
should  not release something that can so easily be used  to
attack other residents of the shared network.

The  project leader of Windows, Jim Allchin, said some  time
ago that 60% of the code in Vista needs to be re-written. So
here  we  have  another  semi-baked O/S  released  onto  the
public.  It  will continue to be compromised and attack  the
Web.  So what gives? I want to see change. Or else, with the
rise  in  'rotten'  traffic, brute force will  beats  people
ability to carry out work.

> What would be decent of MS, would be to now release win98se into the public
> domain.

This  was  suggested elsewhere. Disclose the source so  that
independent  develops  can patch the system for  themselves.
And  it  /does/ need patching. There is at least  one  known
(and  unpatched)  flaw  that  allows  virtually  70  million
computers to be hijacked. There is no remedy and the upgrade
require new hardware.