Re: a site links to one of my jpg

__/ [ markbiernat@xxxxxxxxx ] on Sunday 16 July 2006 07:25 \__

> 1) I have a language learning site.
> 2) I have an attractive Photo on the site of a studious looking woman
> on my site.
> 3) Another site, http://www.photo-pharm.com/   (a site I have nothing
> to do with) found this Photo and links to it.
> 4) It gives me 5000 visits a day.
> 5) I would not mind even if it's not targeted traffic but....
>
> They link just to the jpg not a page. Therefore, no one visits my page
> just the photo, its does nothing but use up bandwidth. How do I turn
> this into traffic to my purchase page for example?  Normally if an
> image is displayed on a page you just make it a link.  But the issue is
> they do not link to a page, just a photo on my site.
>

> Thank you
>
>  Mark

Hi,

This is known as "HotLinking". If the referring site is decent (in terms of
behaviour), then I suggest you contact its Webmaster and request a link
either to the page where your image is embedded (create context if it's
merely 'orphaned'). You can otherwise get a link adjacent to the image or
have the image itself turned into a link. You could of course just refuse
the HotLinking altogether (applicable only to this image, even to all else),
or have it replaced by something a little less pleasant (keeping the old
filename in tact). This delivers the message rather quickly, but it's worth
making contact as a prior warning.

Best wishes,

Welcome to standards-compliant Web browsing. http://www.spreadfirefox.com/
Swap:  1036184k total,   639780k used,   396404k free,    46816k cached