Re: Europe's handicapper: Microsoft obsession

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Saturday 15 July 2006 10:20 \__

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft#Criticisms_of_the_case

> http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/3423941
>
> If you can get me a published copy of actual OEM license agreements
> with OEMs such as HP, Dell, Gateway, and Toshiba, you can correct the
> record.
>
> I have to settle for those references which have been made public, even
> if they are slightly out of date.
>
> Point of fact, Microsoft has, on at least one occaision, threatened to
> revoke the license of an OEM for an unexpected re-interpretation of a
> clause.
>
> And by the way, Compaq didn't actually remove IE, they just removed the
> IE Icon from the desktop and modified the registry to make sure that it
> could stay removed.
>
> Microsoft has also been challenged over several other OEM licensing
> issues which were claimed to have been designed to prevent the
> distribution of Linux (Violating both the settlement and the Appeals
> Court Ruling), but Microsoft has artfully dodged the issue by claiming
> that their actual intent was only to show that other versions of
> Windows were the target. And yet, no OEM currently publishes the Linux
> compatibility of their machines in the same ad cont

Oops. Text truncated due to an old (already resolved) Firefox bug. There is
the remainder:

BEGIN QUOTE

Microsoft has also been challenged over several other OEM licensing
issues which were claimed to have been designed to prevent the
distribution of Linux (Violating both the settlement and the Appeals
Court Ruling), but Microsoft has artfully dodged the issue by claiming
that their actual intent was only to show that other versions of
Windows were the target. And yet, no OEM currently publishes the Linux
compatibility of their machines in the same ad content that mentions
Microsoft Windows.

I point to a clear cut pattern, and point to actual language in actual
court cases to suggest that there may be a pattern of protecting the
monopoly through methods not currently addressed by the current court
settlement. The court said "you can't interfere with the distribution
of Linux on PCs". Microsoft has managed to dance under and around this
ruling.

This is a common legal tactic. Draft the settlement, then let the
other party assume that the settlement addresses the spirit and intent
of the ruling - to get the settlement language accepted. Then use the
letter of the settlement to circumvent the spirit and intent of the
law.

Microsoft's settlement and license language should be mandatory reading
for anyone considering working for companies like Enron, WorldCom, or
any Mafia Don.

END QUOTE