Re: [News] MSFT Performance Wobbles

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 14 July 2006 12:59 \__

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7BE67D6751%2D7D85%2D45B5%2DB909%2D803BC040C703%7D&source=blq%2Fyhoo&dist=yhoo&siteid=yhoo

>>> The investment bankers are still talking it up, though.  Presumably,
>>> they've got so much invested in MS, they don't want to see it crash.  I
>>> think they could be disappointed...
>>
>> A quick and shallow news search brings up:
>>
>> http://abcnews.go.com/Business/IndustryInfo/story?id=2184401&page=1
>>
>> What's Wrong With Microsoft?
>>
>> As Bill Gates Steps Away, Microsoft Braces Itself Against Mounting
>> Developmental and Legal Issues
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| July 13, 2006 -- The bloom appears to be fading from the Redmond rose.
>>|
>>| Redmond, Wash.-based Microsoft Corp., the most powerful technology
>>| company in the world, has faced a variety of legal and operational
>>| hurdles this year, leaving some observers to believe the company has
>>| peaked and has begun a steady slide from industry dominance.
>> `----
>>
>> And I'm only quoting the opening paragraph. I have not read further. Such
>> dysphoric article are becoming the norm rather than the exception among
>> American media outlets. But it's not pessimism; it's realism.
>
> This whole process has been surprisingly accurately predicted in Cola so
> far.  As you say, taking the realistic perspective.  MS have very deep
> pockets, of course, so I'm sure that they'll keep throwing money at
> things until something starts to look like a business possibility.
> Next generation Xbox might be their most likely bet, but in order to
> make that kind of business work, they either need to take a cut of games
> sales, /or/ make money selling the boxes.  MS do not ever seem to have
> understood production economics, but that wouldn't stop them from
> employing someone who did.
>
> I think there'll be some fairly wide-scale redundancies at MS over the
> next few years, as business units are shut-down or sold-off and they
> refocus onto a new core business.  They really do need a radical senior
> management team, though;  until Mr Ballmer steps aside, I think they'll
> struggle to get the changes they need put into place.

Reminds of of:

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2006/07/14/microsoft_skills/

Microsoft to foot consultant recruitment bill for UK dealers

,----[ quote ]
| Microsoft Business Solutions is to foot the bill for recruiting 400
| new consultants for its UK partners, to combat a severe skills shortage
| in the channel.
`----

Published this morning, by the way

All of that said, they recently fired 200+ in the States and I think they
employ a lot more in China, probably in the lost persuit for dominance in
search (raison detre: control information, control the masses).