Re: Kororra XGL, interesting

http://wiki.novell.com/index.php/SLED10:_Configuring_and_Using_Desktop_Effects_(Xgl)

>> Nice link: (There is currently no text in this page)
>>
>> Do you actually *read* URLs before posting them?
>

> Peter, your news reader (like mine) treats the brackets as delimiters.
> Clicking on them will have you led to a page that's not in the Wiki's
> database (which makes the error message deceiving).

I noticed later when looking at the URL supplied and the one called

>>> It can, but it has to download them first. Nothing in the GPL against
>>> linking to NForce/GPU drivers, hell SuSE 9.2 has linkage in YAST for
>>> them. Yes, it makes it easy. Much easier than the NINE-click Windows
>>> Way. No, it isn't included in the distro because that would be a GPL
>>> violation.
>>
>> No, it is not
>

> True.
>

>>> My
>>> guess would be that if you rolled-your-own and included NForce drivers
>>> in the box, you couldn't distribute under GPL, you'd be constrained by
>>> whatever license NVidia imposed.
>>
>> Bullshit.
>> Please explain the presence of closed source code in SuSE, for example
>

> SUSE/SuSE is not a good example.

Why not? They adhere to the GPL just as well as anybody else
They even include CSS stuff on a seperate CD (if using CDs)
But they simply don't bother with that when working with DVD. And the reason
is simple: Because they don't have to. There is *nothing* in the GPL which
would disallow packing GPL-code and non-GPL-code in the distro.
That some folks (like Debian, for example) have a different take on that is
more a "political" view than anything else

> But as a matter of fact, one of the
> 'purer' distributions -- that which included only Open Source in its
> image, as well as its online repository, has turned to binary
> (proprietary) options, at least on its repositories. That distro is Ubuntu
> and that change came with Opera last week. The entry into the business
> world is likely to push this further in that direction.

And rightly so. Since CSS code may be run without any restrictions on linux
systems (provided they don't use GPLed code to build their apps), it simply
should not matter what kind of app gets packaged as long as the
maintainers/users of that distro are happy with the choices

I personally use whatever suits me best. And for that very reason I have CSS
code on my (linux-) system which has cost quite a lot in licence fees.
--
Warning: 10 days have passed since your last Windows reinstall.