Re: Red Hat Grows 45% Over the Course of One Year

__/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Thursday 13 July 2006 16:01 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Red Hat Continues Booming Growth in Fiscal Q1
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | For the quarter, Red Hat reports software subscription sales of $71.5
>> | million, up 45 percent compared to the prior year's first quarter...
>> `----
>
> My how our baby has grown!!
> Bob Young must be a proud poppa.
>
>>                 http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb071106-story01.html
>
> Let's play with some numbers shall we?

Earlier on I came across the following report, which was updated some time
today (it emerged as new in the RSS feed):

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=rhat

> Average support fee $70
> Supported copies                      1 million?
> Unsupported (legacy)               10 million?
> Fedora (10:1)                          10 million?
> SUSE                                    20 million?
> Linspire                                  10 million?
> Mandriva                                10 million?
> Ubuntu                                           20 million?
> Knoppix                                         20 million?
>
> About 100 million maybe?
>
> And only 100 distributions left to account for?
>
> OK, so there is probably some double counting.  Some of these are just
> live CDs used for "rescue" operations, and some are "dual boot" where
> linux is used primarily for special projects and in "free time".
>
> I wonder if VMWare Player and Virtual PC are changing the rules a
> little?

Speaking of virtualisation tools, Microsoft has made theirs a free (as in
beer) download. I guess they would better join the outlandish party than be
left aside in an empty house.

> And then we have the "appliances"
>
> Linksys                       100 million?
> D-Link                         100 million?
> NetGear                       100 million?
> Tivo                      80 million?

The OLPC project might deliver 200-300 mllion Fedora laptops.

> PCs sold with Windows this year?  100 million?  maybe even only 70
> million?
>
> And Linux seems to be growing about 45% per year.
> Remember when 20% per year for Microsoft was considered phenomenal
> growth?
>
> Remember the Bamboo Tree?

It being eaten away by those are led to the verge of extinction.