Re: [News] More on Rootkits; Vista Holey Even Before Release?

__/ [ Ray Ingles ] on Thursday 13 July 2006 21:09 \__

> On 2006-07-13, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>| "The rootkit wars have started to escalate with a rootkit named
>>| Rustock... Works in Vista, too!..."
>
>  A rootkit only gets installed by exploiting some *other* security
> issue, or (as is apparently the case here) if a security researcher
> deliberately installs it as a test.
>
>  This isn't a flaw in Vista, any more than the existence of rootkits for
> Linux is a flaw in Linux. Windows has plenty enough problems; we don't
> have to invent them. :->

Yes, I had some second thoughts about the subject line, but posted anyway.
The matter of fact is that rootkits, while potentially a true mess, need to
be installed. In the case of Sony, all that is needed is the insertion of a
CD-ROM, after which the installed-in-stealth component can be exploited by
malicious third parties. I take your point however (as well as Oliver's).
"Holey" is an overstatement which out to be retracted.