Re: Windows Will Make People Quit Their Jobs

On 2006-07-13, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:

> Yes. It will. There is no excuse. Why on earth would somebody have to erase
> 1000 spam per day? And how can one hold a job when these botnets only get
> bigger by the day, accumulating more bandwidth and -- thanks to Windows
> Vista -- computing power, too.

If they're paid by the hour, this is a great boon to employees. They
spend a lot of time waiting for the slow-assed machine to finally
respond in between files being scanned, which necessitates working
overtime to get caught up. And while working overtime they have to
spend a lot of time waiting for the slow-assed machine to finally
respond in between files being scanned.

Things finally got so bad on the work network that they pushed a virus
scanner to every machine that scans all incoming traffic. At noon all
of the machines get an additional deep scan of files. Since our
maintenance management junkware is web-based (worse than that, it
/requires/ IE) that means we get a minute of scanning every time we
click the mouse on something. Between noon and 3 (when the deep
scanning can finally finish; sometimes 2 if it's a weekend and not many
people are at work) it can take 3-4 minutes to save a document that
isn't even located on the lacal machine that's being bogged down by the
unecessary constant scanning. Presumably this is because those pesky
scripts that require ActiveX keep sending out requests that result in
incoming traffic that has to be scanned by the slow-running virus
scanner.

I can hardly wait for Pisseda, when the problem should quadruple in a
few months.

> Microsoft should be sued. Not the ISP's.

They'd better get started, too. All of those fines are going to start
chipping away big at the bottom line, making stockholders nervous. When
*they* start dumping, that big pot of money M$ could be sued for will
shrink faster than the ship in Fantastic Voyage.

--
I used to be all over Windows. Now I'm *really* over Windows!