Re: EU Fines Microsoft $357 Million, Says Microsoft Far From Compliance

  • Subject: Re: EU Fines Microsoft $357 Million, Says Microsoft Far From Compliance
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 22:38:24 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> There has been some troll activity recently to the effect that the
> European fine is simply a reflection of European resentment at American
> innovation (read: Microsoft success).  It seems likely that this is a
> talking point coming from the puppeteers in Redmond.  IMO this line of
> argument does not play to the advantage of Microsoft and is a mistake
> for them, unless it is played quietly to selected audiences.  First, it
> tangles Microsoft in political divisions which they should stay out of
> if they want to sell software (regardless of  the personal political
> inclinations of the management).  It is common in conservative circles
> in the US to claim that the European system(s) of government, that is,
> socialiazed medicine, liberal labor policies, etc, are backward,
> uncompetitive, and destined for the ash heap of history.  In liberal
> circles in the US these attitudes are despised.  Microsoft should stay
> out of it.  Second, it obviously has the effect of annoying the
> Europeans and other non-Americans, so that it takes on a kind of a
> self-fulfilling prophecy (even if Europeans are not jealous of
> American=Microsoft "innovation" they will be annoyed at the attitude).
> Third, it draws Microsoft  into a host of issues that divide the US
> from the rest of the world (the Iraq war, Guantanamo prison, etc) that
> Microsoft has no responsibility for, but which can only play to their
> disadvantage.

I agree with all of that!  I note that the US has finally accepted that
the Guantanamo inmates are subject to the Geneva convention (I pointed
this out here ages ago).

I do not confuse Microsoft's monopoly with success, and I'm sure others
do not.  Monopolies are, in general, bad - it matters not where they hail from.

If any man wishes to be humbled and mortified, let him become president
of Harvard.
		-- Edward Holyoke