Re: The Way We Were

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ Kier ] on Wednesday 12 July 2006 15:23 \__
>
>> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 22:21:04 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> __/ [ Kier ] on Tuesday 11 July 2006 21:02 \__
>>
>> <snip>

>>> On my Windows 98 laptop I had no more than 32 MB of RAM. This can be a
>>> peril and a pain, not just to Live CD's, but to installers as well.
>>
>> Then you'd need something like DSL, which may work on such hardware (and
>> I think there are a few other tiny distros of a similar nature around).
>> It's amazing what you can squeeze into 50 MB!
>
> I gave that laptop to my sister last year. I don't believe she ever uses
> it though. *frown* I might just grab it back if she admits that it only
> sits in some drawer, or the briefcase.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Roy

A few I've played with over the years:

Zipslack: 95MB install. Sits on a UMSDOS partition or on a Zip disk (maybe
even a bootable flash). Had this running on a P60 (Dell Dimension XPS) with
24MB RAM.

MuLinux: anything from 300K(!!) to 300MB, depending on the modules chosen.
Sits on a UMSDOS partition as well. Had this running as a local webserver,
as a proof-of-concept for a while on an Olivetti dual-floppy terminal!

DSL: the one version I looked at of this had a 58MB ISO footprint. Was a
while ago.

Dyne:Bolic: TINY ISO footprint (~50MB or so), 28MB RAM footprint, plays DVDs
OOTB, ejects the boot CD once it's loaded itself completely into RAM.
Tested on: P4m 1.6, P4m 2.0, PIIIm 1.4, PIII 1.4, PIIIm 700MHz, PII
(mobile) 400MHz (didn't play DVD on that tho, it was only a Thinkpad).

When all else fails...
Use a hammer.

http://www.dotware.co.uk

Some people are like Slinkies;