Re: (Rant) Implications of Choosing Microsoft Exchange for E-mail

__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Wednesday 12 July 2006 14:10 \__

> I was flying United Airlines to London recently.  An hour into the
> flight, the in-flight entertainment (tv, music etc) went blank.  A few
> minutes later they announced that they were having technical
> difficulties with it, and expected it to be back up in half an hour,
> after a "reboot."  Don't think it was running on Linux.

There are some Linux-based systems on the Airbus models, which I doubt is
what United Airlines use as carriers. When I flew American Airlines a couple
of months ago, the system appeared to be Windows-based, with some kind of
Java overlays.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/milliped/116393699/

I am fairly sure it's not GIMP'ed in. Maybe a routine reboot as well. I
noticed that airports reboot Windows XP every night, or so it seems.

A quick&dirty search on Flickr (I had the one above tattooed in my mind) also
reveals:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chadford/10252045/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidbrunelle/81350400/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keitaro/125804973/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34492983@N00/155790058/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zog/51916038/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashoe/173023442/

The colleagues whom I share an office with had a BSoD for about an hour
yesterday. I didn't ask why. Don't want to touch an already touchy
subject... it keeps the support staff occupied though. And you know what
they say: "Busy staff is happy staff".

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    #00ff00 Day - Basket Case
  2:20pm  up 75 days 19:23,  11 users,  load average: 1.70, 0.85, 0.73