Re: Need help with Booting from cd in Powermac 9600/300

__/ [ Soldier ] on Wednesday 12 July 2006 01:09 \__

[resent; server does not show previous posting attempt]

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-newbie/53627-new-linux-triyng-boot-mac-live-cd.html

>> > Good luck.
>>
>> But it did do anything..........I don't know how to make it boot i
>> holded c on the startup screen and nothing happened just a window witht
>> he cd that has the files there.What should i do.....Can you tell me
>> when i should start holding "C"?thanks.
>

> Oh and also when i hold c nothing happens......i see in the startup
> process the little icons in the bottom and the cd drive icon is crossed
> out and it still just the normal mac os 9.....Please help and
> respond.Thank you.

To quote something I could find (have you searched the Web _at all_?)

,----[ Quote ]
| > > Yes. Put the bootable CD into the drive. In OS X or OS 9 open the
| System
| > > Preferences panel and select that drive as the startup disk.
|
| >     Oh I see. So if this computer is in this state and someone wanted to
| > boot the HD with the bootable CD in the drive and didn't want to touch
| the
| > computer, what would happen?
|
| Are you saying that you want to change the boot device without touching the
| computer? How is the computer going to know what device you feel like
| booting
| unless you tell it?
|
| Anyway, pressing "ALT" in boot-up will show you a graphical sccreen of
| bootable
| devices that you can select from.
`----

I only used OS 9 between 2002 and 2004. Never booted from a CD, but I also
know that this PowerPC version of Knoppix might require a different mouse.
There was a thread about this in the past. Same newsgroup.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue"
  1:25am  up 75 days  6:28,  10 users,  load average: 0.66, 0.75, 0.87