Re: The Way We Were

__/ [ Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! At Raceway Speedway! ] on Tuesday 11 July 2006
17:50 \__

> B Gruff wrote:
>>
>> Fascinating!
>> The week that "they" terminate W98, the BBC re-load W98, and guess what?
>>
>> "Despite Microsoft's claims that Windows 98 makes using the net easier,
>> finding a browser that worked with the raw operating system was a
>> challenge"
>> "Internet Explorer 4.0 is now obsolete and it proved impossible to
>> download a newer version of the browser from the Microsoft site using the
>> old software"
>> "The only browser I could get working straight off was Opera - once I had
>> that working updating other components got easier"
>>
>> There must be a lesson there somewhere:-)
>>

> "Microsoft has ended its support for the estimated 70 million users of
> operating system Windows 98."
>
> 70 million?
>
> 70/1000 (the 1 Billion PCs worldwide) = 7 percent.
>
> Not what's reported here:
>
> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats/

^A link from a resident troll perhaps?

> 3 percent

[sarcasm/] Maybe they dual-boot XP and 98. Or even Linux and Windows 98 (the
less sarcastic option). Either way, such machines should still count as
Windows 9x, with duality.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    /earth: file system full
 10:20pm  up 75 days  3:23,  10 users,  load average: 0.51, 0.56, 0.84