Re: [News] Vista Sidebar Not Pragmatic

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Tuesday 11 July 2006 13:05 \__

http://www.apcstart.com/site/jbannan/2006/07/665/vistas-sidebar-a-waste-of-space

> Hmmm... he's a bit of a nay-sayer, isn't he?  He doesn't need to run ALL
> his apps full-screen, so surely all that he has to do is to have the
> sidebar up in one of his virtual desktops that don't use all the screen, or
> even give it a virtual desktop of its own....;-)

That's just what I had in mind. No virtual desktops. Rex recently said that
Windows users are accustomed to to this habit of working with just one
application at a time -- one that is maximised to occupy the entire screen.
In reality, the notion of minimising and maximising applications should be
merely deprecated. I rarely even use Alt+(Shift)+Tab either.
Ctrl+(Shift+)+Tab is the easier way to get things done if you remain
consistent (e.g. everything mail-related in desktop 4). Other possibilities:
pager and keyboard accelerators... often CTRL+Fx by default (GNOME, KDE). If
Windows does not evolve, it will never encourage its user to adpt productive
paradigms for GTD (getting things done).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Those who can, Open-Source
Cpu(s):  20.1% user,   3.5% system,  14.7% nice,  61.7% idle