Re: Try doing this with Windows

  • Subject: Re: Try doing this with Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 06:25:13 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Kelsey Bjarnason ] on Monday 10 July 2006 21:41 \__

> [snips]
>
> On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 12:19:18 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> You cannot /legally/ do this with Windows. The licence are sold per
>> motherboard,
>
> Isn't that for OEM versions of Windows?  Like, say, OEM versions of CD
> burning software which are tied to the specific device, but full versions
> are usable with any burner?
>
> Or are they really now saying that it's every version of Windows, and a
> simple hardware upgrade requires I completely relicense my retail boxed
> set XP?

All I know (from memory) is that Microsoft now perceives the motherboard as
the 'heart' of the computer. It explicitly said that you cannot 'plant' a
new motherboard in a given box and still retain the same licence, even if
the board is connected to to the same hard-drive, peripherals, etc.

The idea of hauling some memory over, _as well as_ potential issues with a
fried (faulty) CPU makes some of these rules rather ludicrous. It's almost
as bad as WGA on the software-front. WGA is intended to check that the state
of underlying hardware is unchanged. It's the equivalent of a full rectal
cavity examination.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I regularly SSH to God's brain and reboot"
  6:20am  up 74 days 11:23,  12 users,  load average: 0.37, 0.51, 0.69