Re: Microsoft Attempts to Intercept EU Fines

Rex Ballard used his keyboard to write :
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
Microsoft submitted documents in bid to avoid fine
http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060731:MTFH12417_2006-07-31_10-13-23_L31156239&type=comktNews&rpc=44

It looks like the EU has finally found a punishment that is at least getting Microsoft to take a court ruling seriously. Fine them 3 million Euros/day until they comply fully. Too bad the Bush administration didn't do something like that. By now, Microsoft could have paid almost 1/2 the national debt (if we hadn't gone to war with Iraq and lowered taxes).

At least in the EU, Microsoft is NOT above the law.

Do you really think Microsoft will ever actually PAY these fines?

I find it really interesting that Microsoft has had 300 people trying to draft a document which amounts to "here is the public-domain document, here are the two field we added and how they are used".

It almost seems like Microsoft is trying to hide something really
important, something worth paying nearly $1 billion in fines.  Some
"back doors", perhaps?

Furthermore, it seems like at least 200 of these people are lawyers,
trying to figure out how to make sure that anyone who does read these
specifications can never code for any platform other than Windows, ever
again.

EU-too early to say if Microsoft faces further fine
http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060731:MTFH12588_2006-07-31_10-22-28_BRU004837&type=comktNews&rpc=44

,----[ Quote ]
"It's too early at this stage to give any indication of whether there
will be another payment, another penalty, and if there is to be another
penalty how much it would be," Commission spokesman Michael Mann told a
news briefing.
`----

It's beginning to look more and more like Microsoft will have to adopt the standards established by Linux/Unix, without those proprietary "enhancements" rather than admit to all of --- whatever they are trying to hide ---.

What would be worth $1 billion to hide?

Errr.. The market for servers is /quite/ large unless I'm mistaken....

--
Lets just say I ordered number two on the menu and I got what I ordered, Hot and steamy. I would have told the chef where to stick it only I think that's where it had come from...