Re: Recycle Bin not enough, Microsoft adds "Previous Versions" support on the file system level

__/ [ Hadron Quark ] on Monday 31 July 2006 14:15 \__

http://www.betanews.com/article/Vista_Encryption_Concerns_British_Police/1140050950

>>                 Vista Encryption Concerns British Gov
>
> There are a million and one utilities for secure file handling for
> windows long prior to vista. Typical press dramatization.
>
> I use truecrypt (or did) for a while on LInux too - but got sick of
> having to recompile it for every new kernel.

I understand. It's always this efficiency/safety tradeoff. One has to find
the healthy point of balance or simply script a solution (finding the
prepackaged solution is advantageous at times).

For example: tarring and encrypting sensitive information, later to be
decrypted and untarrer/uncompressed for access; Speed of standardised
formats like ODF (OASIS XML schema?); Other examples include: backup (how
many people take care of that 'safety net' infrequently? What is a safe
backup method? rsync with what cycles? What about stacking backups and
leaving trail in case of 'contaminations' or accidents?);
re-installation/maintenance/cleaning up of Windows (Registry, clog-ups, AV
software updates and so forth). It's that tradeoff. Always. The least one
can do is choose a system that make some of that stuff unnecessary or
automated (e.g. background job), leaving more time for work to receive
attention, rather than perpetual maintenance that's a repetitive bore.

Best wishes,

GNU/Linux is beautiful. < http://youtube.com/watch?v=lawkc3jH3ws >